It was time for me to let my beloved Bruno move on with his pride and his dignity intact. Time momentarily stood still as Bruno and I sat across from each other on the floor. I felt both a mixture of sadness and relief that the end was here.
With a heavy heart and a lump in my throat, I began to envision my days without my Bruno. Daily routines, habits, and quirks we shared, understood and relied on would be no more. I began to doubt myself and my decision. I wanted validation that I was doing the right thing. I went to my computer to book an appointment with Animal Communicator Karen Anderson. The earliest appointment was not until Wednesday, September 22, 2010. Disappointed with the time frame I booked the appointment anyway.
I returned to my spot on the floor across from Bruno and began to play things out in my mind. Today was Friday, the appointment with Karen on Wednesday, call the vet on Thursday and put Bruno out of his suffering next Friday or Saturday.
We sat in comfortable silence as I slowly realized and accepted I was just delaying the inevitable. I did not need confirmation from Karen or anybody else that Bruno was ready to move on because in my heart and in my gut I already knew. Would I ever be emotionally ready to let Bruno go? “No.” It was time to suck it up and do the right thing.
I made Bruno’s last phone call to our vet and booked an appointment for the following day.
*Originally posted August 26, 2011*